The Incredible Journey of Karun Nair
Karun Nair did what several Indian legends couldn’t do. Barring Virender Sehwag’s two triple tons, India’s glorious list of batsmen has no mention of triple century for more than the last few decades together. That’s when un-hyped, new and young blood Karun Nair stole the show.
Interestingly, when Karun Nair came to bat, no one knew that history was going to be scripted at Chennai. The very same city which was ravaged due to Vardha cyclone a few days back, but Karun Nair’s storm finally prevailed and gave Chennaites a reason to smile.
Man of the match Karun Nair smashed an epic knock of 303* (381 balls, 4s x 32, 6s x 4) and etched an innings that will stay in the minds of spectators for many years to come.
The Brilliance of Karun Nair: Stats and Facts
- Karun Nair took least number of innings (3) to score a 300-run knock.
- Only Sobers and Simpson have been able to convert their debut test hundred into a triple century.
- It was for the first time any Indian batsman could reach 300+ score against England.
- Scoring 303* at a strike rate of around 80 is the third-fasted among all triple centurions in the history of test cricket.
- It is the highest individual score at number 5 position. Previous best was MS Dhoni’s 224 against Australia in 2013.
- Karun Nair hit 328 runs with 3 consecutive tons in his debut Ranji series. He guided his home team – Karnataka – with an emphatic win over Tamil Nadu to grab a Ranji Title after 15 years.
- In IPL 2016, Nair garnered 357 runs from 14 matches for Delhi Daredevils.
- Overall, Nair is the 26th batsman to hit 300+ score in a test innings.
- Nair’s 303* is the third highest individual test score for India after Virender Sehwag’s 319 and 309.
- At 25, He is the youngest batsman to hit 300 in a test match.
- In an interview, Karun Nair disclosed that he hit cricket balls for around 30 to 40 hours per week apart from strenuous gym-session of 12 hours every week to stay fit and play for India.
- Karun Nair owed his success to his mentor Rahul Dravid too. It was during his stay with Delhi Daredevils team that the “wall” suggested him lots of useful tips on how to stick to wicket and get useful runs without losing patience and focus. It helped him immensely at his mammoth innings against England.
When Karun Nair Narrowly Escaped a Death
In July this year, the cricketer miraculously escaped unhurt when a boat capsized in Kerala. It was his strong determination that helped him fight the turbulent waves and deep waters of river Pampa in Kerala after the tragic “Aranmula Vallasadya” boat disaster.
After a few hours of constant fight against the troubling water, the cricketer was later rescued by the disaster management team. The accident occurred when the boat was about to reach the temple Aranmulala but suddenly sank into the river.
Karun Nair went there to seek the blessings from the god for his debut ODI series. But the batsman could garner just 46 runs in two limited-over matches